Sunday, November 06, 2005

Mountain of Justice - 'Umar Al Khattab

‘Umar Al-Farooq, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu
~ The Mountain of Justice~

“He(‘Umar) is the closed gate on Fitnah”
--Rasool Allaah, sal Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallaam.


“ O Allaah, I am tough, please make me soft. O Allaah, I am weak, please make me strong. O Allaah, I am miserly, please make me generous.”
-- ‘Umar, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu.

“Whenever Shaytaan sees ‘Umar taking a path, he fleeds to other path away from him.”

-- Rasool Allaah, sal Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallaam.

Who he was?
The youngest of Khalifah ( 13 years younger than ar-Rasool)

Became the Khalifah at the age of 53 years.

He was not among the aristocrats of Mecca (same with Abu Bakr). This proves the justice of Islaam.

During the Treaty of Hudaybiyah, when the Muslims chose ‘Umar to be the envoy of the Muslimeen in dealing with the Quraishites, he went to the Prophet, sal Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallaam, and asked the Prophet to send someone with higher status than him. Thus, ‘Uthmaan, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu, was chosen as the envoy.

He was from the tribe of Banu ‘Adee.

His kunya was Abu Hafs (the Father of the Lion). This kunya was given to him due to his toughness.

He used to be a shepherd when he was young. He was also a businessman before becoming the Khalifah.

He was 30 years old when the Prophet,sal Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallaam, received the first wahy (revelation) from Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta’aala.

He was tall and large. It was narrated that whenever he rode a horse, his feet would be dragging on the ground. Subhaan Allaah, this shows us how big he was!

He was very well known for his zuhd(asceticism), justice, mercy, knowledge and eloquence in speech.

He had 12 children. Among them were ‘Abdullaah Ibn ‘Umar (the famous young sahaabah) and Hafsa (the Prophet’s wife).

He used to walk quickly, similar to the Prophet’s walk.


‘Umar’s Love for Mecca
He had such a deep love on Mecca and its inhabitants.

He used to attack Islaam before he became a Muslim out of his patriotism on Mecca. He perceived Islaam as a religion that had caused division between the families, had sparked enmity between tribes, and had gradually stripped off the peaceful environment of Mecca.

He would be torturing those who became Muslims while Abu Bakr tried very hard to protect them (by freeing the slaves,etc).

During the migration of the Muslims to Habasyah (Abyssinia), a woman sahaabah named Umm ‘Abdillaah was leaving mecca. ‘Umar met her on her way and asked, “ Are you leaving to Habasyah?” She said, “ Yes as you’ve tortured us so much.” Then, ‘Umar made du’aa, “ May you have a safe journey.” Umm ‘Abdillaah was touched with his du’aa despite of his persecution of the Muslims. When she returned back to Mecca after few months, she said, “ I think ‘Umar will become a Muslim.”

And by the Will of Allaah, Umm ‘Abdillaah was right.


His Islaam was a Muslim victory!
The Prophet used to make du’aa to Allaah : “ O Allaah! Give strength to Islaam, especially through either of the two men You love more: ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattab or Abu Jahl Ibn Hishaam.” ‘Umar, obviously, was the one who merited the privilege.

As the wave of Islaam gained energy day by day in Mecca, ‘Umar realized that something has to be done to stop this wave. Otherwise, Islaam would gain upperhand in Mecca.

‘Umar got so upset that he decided to kill the Prophet, sal Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallaam.

When he found out that his sister has embraced Islaam, by the will of Allaah, Islaam entered his heart.

Therefore, he went to the place where the Prophet and his companions had gathered (Daar al-Arqam in Safa Mountain) for secret meetings. Hamza, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu, was with the Prophet. He said, “ If ‘Umar is going to kill the Prophet, wallaahi, I will kill him with his own sword.” When ‘Umar reached the house, the Prophet asked his companions to back up. The Prophet said to ‘Umar, “ Is it the time for you to become a Muslim ya ‘Umar?” He replied, “ Ya Rasool Allaah, I only come here for that reason.”

After he became a Muslim, he asked the Prophet, “ Ya Rasool Allaah, are we on the right path?” The Prophet answered, “ Indeed ya ‘umar.” He asked another question, “ Do we have the truth with us?” The Prophet replied, “ Yes, we do!.” Then, he said, “ Why then are we hiding our Islaam?”

Now, every Muslim would not hesitate to publicly announce their faith. How can that happen? Because ‘Umar was there to defend them. Who out there was dare enough to go against ‘Umar?

‘Umar:: The Mountain of Knowledge
In more than one occasion, ‘Umar would suggest something to the Prophet and the wahy(revelation) would come down afterwards,exactly as what he has suggested.

Narrated by Abu Hurayrah : Allah's Apostle said, "Among the nations before you there used to be people who were inspired (although they were not Prophets). And if there is any of such a person amongst my followers, it is 'Umar."
[Sahih Bukhari]


He asked the Prophet, “ Shall we not take the Maqam of Ibrahim as the place of prayer?” Allaah then revealed verse 125 in Suratul Baqarah, confirming ‘umar’s suggestion.

In another occasion, ‘Umar asked the Prophet, “ Shouldn’t Ummuhaatul Mu’mineen (Mothers of the Believers) be covered properly, as there’re many people who came to your house everyday to meet you?” Allaah then revealed verse 32-33, commanding the Prophet’s wives to be covered.

‘Umar was one of the writers of the wahy revealed to the Prophet. Once, he was writing the wahy and as he was contemplating and reflecting over the verse that he’s writing, he said, “ Fatabaraakallahu ahsanul khaaliqeen”[Al-Mu’minoon,23:14]. The Prophet responded saying, “ You should write that down ya ‘Umar, because it was revealed to me!”.

“ ‘Umar has the capability of leading the army, like Khaleed. But, I keep him here help me organize the affairs of the Ummaah in Madinah.” -- Abu Bakr, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu.

‘Umar used to make du’aa to Allaah, “ O Allaah, let me die shaheed in Madinah.”

Narrated by Anas bin Malik : The Prophet once climbed the Mountain of Uhud with Abu Bakr, 'Umar and 'Uthmaan. The mountain shook with them. The Prophet said (to the mountain), "Be firm, O Uhud! For on you, there are no more than a Prophet, a Siddeeq and two martyrs(‘Umar & ‘Uthmaan).

The companions were puzzled with his du’aa. How can you die shaheed in Madinah? And we all know that Allaah has answered his du’aa as ‘Umar was murdered when he was leading the fajr prayer, and thus, shaheed in Madinah.

He is from the People of Jannaah
Narrated by Abu Moosa : While I was with the Prophet in one of the gardens of Madinah, a man came and asked me to open the gate. The Prophet said to me, "Open the gate for him and give him the glad tidings that he will enter Paradise." I opened (the gate) for him, and behold! It was Abu Bakr. I informed him of the glad tidings the Prophet had said, and he(Abu Bakr) praised Allah. Then, another man came and asked me to open the gate. The Prophet said to me "Open (the gate) and give him the glad tidings of entering Paradise." I opened (the gate) for him, and behold! It was 'Umar. I informed him of what the Prophet had said, and he(‘Umar) praised Allah. Then another man came and asked me to open the gate. The Prophet said to me. "Open (the gate) for him and inform him of the glad tidings, of entering Paradise with a calamity which will befall him. " Behold ! It was 'Uthman, I informed him of what Allah's Apostle had said. He praised Allah and said, "I seek Allah's Aid."
[ Sahih Bukhari]

The palace for ‘Umar in Jannah::

Narrated by Abu Hurayrah : While we were with Allah's Apostle, he said, "While I was sleeping, I saw myself in Paradise, and suddenly I saw a woman performing ablution beside a palace. I asked, 'For whom is this palace?' They replied, 'It is for 'Umar.' Then I remembered 'Umar's Ghira (self-respect) and went away quickly." Umar wept and said, “O Allah's Apostle! How dare I think of my ghira (self-respect) being offended by you?”
[Sahih Bukhari]


Narrated by Abu Said Al-Khudri : I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "While I was sleeping, the people were presented to me (in a dream). They were wearing shirts, some of which were merely covering their (chests). and some were a bit longer. 'Umar was presented before me and his shirt was so long that he was dragging it." They asked, "How have you interpreted it, O Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet said, "It is a symbol of faith."
[Sahih Bukhari]


Narrated by Hamza's father: Allah's Apostle said, "While I was sleeping, I saw myself drinking (i.e. milk), and I was so contented that I saw the milk flowing through my nails. Then I gave (the milk) to 'Umar." They (i.e. the companions of the Prophet) asked, "What do you interpret it?" He said, "Knowledge."
[Sahih Bukhari]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home