Sunday, November 06, 2005

Umar's Inauguration speech and Battle of Al Jisr

‘Umar Al-Farooq, radhiyallaahu ‘anhu
~ The Mountain of Justice~


“O Allaah, I am tough, please make me soft. O Allaah, I am weak, please make me strong. O Allaah, I am miserly, please make me generous.”
-- ‘Umar (May Allah be pleased with him).

‘Umar’s Inauguration
“…and now, brethren, I have been nominated to manage your affairs. So be aware,
then, that that severity (he used to have at the time of the Prophet and Abu Bakr) has been weakened, but it will be used only against those who are oppressive and aggressive to Muslims. Yet, to those who seek Islam, safety and goodwill, I shall be more lenient than each of them is to others. I will never allow anybody to oppress or be aggressive to another; for, then, I would put his cheek to the ground and set my foot on the other cheek until he yields to the truth. After such severity, though, I will put my cheek to the grounds for those who are virtuous and content.
I will not levy any taxes on your products or on any of the booty Allah has bestowed upon you except what is due, and I will pledge not to expend it except where it should expended. It is incumbent upon me not to throw you into jeopardy, nor confine you to front posts in war; and I pledge that if you go away on missions, I will be responsible for your families until you return to them.
Therefore, fear Allah, slaves of Allah, and help me against yourselves by leaving me in peace; and help me against myself by ordering beneficence and forbidding abomination, and by giving me food counsel in all yours affairs that Allah has charged me with.

Conquest: Battle of Al Jisr (The Bridge)
· Details:
o Against the Persians
o Persian general: Rostom
o Muslim general: Abu ‘Ubayd (he was a tabi’een)
o Location: Iraaq
· One of the toughest armies he had ever faced
· His advice to the generals:
1. Don’t take Muslims to death because of treasures
2. Don’t sleep the night until you know the weak points of the area
3. Allah is testing you with me and me with you
4. Close your eyes on the Dunya and busy your heart with other things
5. Do not let the Dunya destroy you as it destroyed others before you.
· The Persians stood facing the Muslim army, separated only by a river across which a bridge was built.
· Abu ‘Ubayd commanded the Muslim army to cross the bridge and even destroyed the bridge so that victory will be the Muslims’ only choice.
· The Muslims obeyed their ruler, crossed the river and engaged in the ferocious fighting against ten thousand Persian soldiers who rode elephants with bells hung around their necks.
· The elephants started shouting towards the Muslims army and scared their horses and this reaction of the horse discouraged the Muslims.
· Abu ‘Ubayd ordered the Muslims army to focus killing the elephant first; so they killed almost all of the Persian elephants.
· The Persians had brought along to the battlefield a big white elephant and Abu ‘Ubayd stepped forward and chopped off its trunk.
· Engaged and furious, the elephant killed Abu ‘Ubayd and stepped on him
· A long line of successors he had named before the battle were killed, too.
· Finally, Al – Muthannah Ibn Harithah became in charge of the troops, as was planned by Abu ‘Ubayd.
· Just as the Muslims were about to conquer their enemies and declare themselves victorious, frailty got over them and they showed their heels.
· The Persians hurried in their pursuit killing many of them and the situation was, in every sense, grave.
· The Muslims had no choice but the reconstruct the bridge and cross the Euphrates.
· Al – Muthannah stood by the bridge and addressed his troops saying, “O people take your time. I will wait here by the bridge till everyone has crossed the river.”
· So when everyone did, Al – Muthannah led his troops till they reached their first stop.
· He stayed all night, along with some intrepid Muslims to guard his soldiers, many of whom were seriously wounded.
· Others chose to wander aimlessly in the wilderness.
· Others yet, panic-stricken as they were, headed straight for Madinah to break the news to the Commander of the Faithful.
· ‘Umar however did not reproach the defeated Muslims for retreating and explained, “I am your troops (that you can retreat to), in accordance with Allah’s verse:

“If any do turn his back to them on such day unless it be in a stratagem of war,
or to retreat to a troop (of his own) he draws on himself the wrath of
Allah, and his abode is Hell, an evil refuge (indeed)!” (Al – Anfaal: 16)

· This battle is reported to have taken place in Sha’baan, 13 AH, 40 days after the Battle of Yarmook.
· Following this battle is the Conquest of Al Bowaib in which the Muslim brought back their honor in victory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home